I am interested in animal behaviour in an evolutionary context. At present, my research focus is in animal communication and social evolution. I use animal family life as a model social system for answering questions such as how flexible are decision rules during conflict and which are the mechanisms modulating this plasticity. Other research themes include: the role of maternal effects in conflict resolution, the evolution of female ornaments and male mate choice, and differences between males and females in resource allocation tradeoffs.
Selected publications /Publicaciones seleccionadas
• Morales J y Velando A (2013) Signals in family conflicts. Anim Behav 86: 11-16.
• Morales J, Torres R y Velando A (2012) Safe betting: males help dull females only when they raise high quality offspring. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 66: 135-143
• Morales J, Kim S-Y, Lobato E, Merino S, Tomás G, Martínez-de la Puente J, y Moreno J (2010) On the heritability of blue-green eggshell coloration. J Evol Biol 23: 1783-1791
• Morales J, Velando A y Torres R (2009) Fecundity compromises attractiveness when pigments are scarce. Behav Ecol., 20: 117-223.
• Morales J, Alonso-Álvarez C, Pérez C, Torres R, Serafino E y Velando A (2009) Families on the spot: sexual signals influence parent-offspring interactions. Proc R Soc Lond B 276: 2477-2483
All publications /Lista de publicaciones
You can find all the scientific papers published in the following link:
2016 - PostDoc (Ramón y Cajal), Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales (CSIC), Spain
January - May 2015, Maternity leave. November 2012 - April 2013, Maternity leave
2011 PostDoc (JAE), Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales (CSIC), Spain
2009 PostDoc (Juan de la Cierva), Universidad de Vigo, Spain
2007 PostDoc (MEC), Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, México
2006 PhD Biology (FPI), Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
2003 Marie Curie Fellow, University of Jyväskylä, Finland
2001 MSc Biology, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
2000 Exchange student, University of Basel and Swiss Ornithological Institute, Switzerland
Awards / Premios
Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Extraordinary Doctorate Award (2006)
SEO/BirdLife Award for Best Doctoral Thesis (2010)