I am interested in the evolutionary processes underlying phenotypic and life-history trait variation in natural populations.
My main research line focuses on the causes of variation of individuals’ mating strategies -principally, extra-pair paternity and social polygamy-, and the subsequent impact of these strategies on individual fitness. During my PhD, I also investigated the effect of individuals’ genetic diversity on fitness-related aspects such as survival or reproductive success.
Recently, I have started a set of studies focused on personality and behavioral plasticity. Behavioral traits are interesting because, compared to morphological or life-history traits are extremely flexible, being able to respond to sudden alterations in the environment rapidly. Currently, I am using flycatchers (Ficedula hypoleuca and Ficedula albicollis) and bruchid beetles (Callosobrochus maculatus) as model species to shed light on questions such as whether individual differences in the components of behavior are heritable or related to fitness.
During my career, I have also been interested in conservation problems and thus, I have collaborated in projects investigating the effects of human activities on the demography and dynamics of wild populations.
Please,for further details on my research, visit my website: https://www.davidcanalresearch.com/
- Vriend S, Grotan V, Gamelon, Canal D (13/48) et al. 2022. Temperature synchronizes temporal variation in laying dates across European hole-nesting passerines. Ecology. doi.org/10.1002/ecy.3908
- Canal D, Garamszegi LZ, Exposito E, Garcia-Gonzalez F. 2022. Experimental evolution reveals differential evolutionary trajectories in male and female activity levels in response to sexual selection and metapopulation structure. Evolution.doi.org/10.1111/
- Canal D, Jablonszky M, Krenhardt K, Markó G, Nagy G, Szász E, Török J, Zsebők S, Garamszegi LZ. 2022 Male and female identity and environmental contexts influence courtship behaviour in a songbird. Animal Behaviour.186. 11e19
- Canal D, Schlicht L, Santoro S, Camacho C, Martínez-Padilla J, Potti J. 2021. Phenology-mediated effects of phenotype on the probability of social polygyny and its fitness consequences in a migratory passerine. BMC Ecology and Evolution. 21, 55
- Culina A, Adriaensen F, Bailey L, Canal D (26/108) et al. 2020. Connecting the data landscape of long‐term ecological studies: The SPI‐Birds data hub. Journal of Animal Ecology. doi.org/10.1111/1365-2656.13388
- Garamszegi L, Zagalska-Neubauer M, Canal D, Blázi G, Laczi M, Nagy M, Szöllősi E, Vaskuti E, Török J, SZsebők S. 2018. MHC-mediated sexual selection on bird song: generic polymorphism, particular alleles and acoustic signals. Molecular Ecology 27:2620-263
- Canal D, Jovani R, Potti J. 2012. Male decisions or female accessibility? Spatiotemporal patterns of extra pair paternity in a songbird. Behavioral Ecology 23: 1146-1153.
- Canal D, Jovani R, Potti J. 2012. Multiple mating opportunities boost protandry in a pied flycatcher population. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 66: 67-76.
- Potti J, Canal D. 2011. Heritability and genetic correlation between the sexes in a songbird sexual ornament. Heredity 106: 945-954.
Otros investigadores del departamento
- Sanz Cid Juan José
- Abril Colon Inmaculada
- Alonso Alvarez Carlos
- Alonso Juan Carlos
- Aparicio Jose Miguel
- Bautista Sopelana Luis M.
- Blanco Hervás Guillermo
- Broggi Obiols Juli
- Carrascal Luis Maria
- Castaño Vazquez Francisco
- Cuervo Osés José Javier
- de la Concha Maroto Alejandro
- D´Arpa Stefania R.
- Fargallo Vallejo Juan Antonio
- Galván Macías Ismael
- García Campa Jorge
- García del Río Marina
- García Guerra Marina
- Gil Diego
- Gómez Llanos Eduardo
- Gómez López Guillermo
- Jerylle ann Collado Soliven
- jose martin
- Lobón Cerviá Francisco Javier
- López Martínez María Pilar
- Merino Rodriguez Santiago
- Morales Fernaz Judith
- Moreno Klemming Juan
- Pascual Rinones Fernando
- Penteriani Vincenzo
- Redondo García Iraida
- Rodríguez Airam
- Rodriguez Ruiz Gonzalo M.
- Sannolo Marco
- Ucero Solís Alberto
- Veiga Relea José Pablo