Juan Antonio Ballesteros Cánovas
My research aims at understanding hydrological-related hazards in the context of Global Change. I combine evidence-based and modelling approaches to improve Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) strategies. My research is focused on local and global studies, involving the analysis of one process (floods) and integrating multi-processes, associated risks and climate-environmental conditions. I merge different disciplines such as geomorphology, climatology and forestry, developing standard protocols to use botanical evidence to analyses hydrological-related hazards. In particular, I am reaching three complementary themes, namely (1) impact of hydrosphere in vegetation; (2) reconstruction of long-term hydrogeomorphic process; and, (3) understanding the linkages between extreme hydrogeomorphic events, climate and anthropogenic activities. I have been involved in several international competitive projects and conducted several scientific expeditions to remote mountain regions (i.e. Hindu Kush–Karakorum region, Central Asia, Caucasus or Andes, among others). My research is aligned with different Sustainable Development Goals, such SDGs 1, 6, 11, 13 and 15; and has been transferred to national and international stakeholders (i.e. Global Assessment Report -UN, 2019).
Publicaciones relevantes+ Acceso a todas las publicaciones
- Palaeoclimate constraints on the impact of 2 °C anthropogenic warming and beyond. Nat. Geo.
- Climate warming enhances snow avalanche risk in the Western Himalayas. PNAS
- Gully evolution and geomorphic adjustments of badlands to reforestation. Sci. Report.
- Recent flood hazards in Kashmir put into context with millennium-long historical and tree-ring records. STOTEN
- On the extraordinary winter flood episode over the North Atlantic Basin in 1936. NYAS
- Increasing risk of glacial lake outburst floods from future Third Pole deglaciation. Nat. Clim. Change
- Interpreting historical, botanical, and geological evidence to aid preparations for future floods. Wires Wat.
Otros investigadores del departamento
- García Fernández Mariano
- Benito Ferrández Gerardo
- Benito Garcia Raul
- Bustillo Revuelta Mª Ángeles
- Calle Navarro Mikel
- Castro Dorado Antonio
- D´Arcangelo Serena
- Garcia Guinea Javier
- Garrido Colmenero Fernando
- Gómez Frutos Daniel
- Gómez García Paula
- Jiménez Santos Maria Josefa
- Martín Pozas Tamara
- Martínez Fernández Vanesa
- Pedro Jose Valverde Lobato
- Rabanaque Yuste María Pilar
- Sanchez Moral Sergio
- Sánchez-Muñoz Luis
- Seijas Morales Naomi
- Zazo Cardeña Caridad